Monday, January 26, 2009

My sister's vacation........not what we planned.

This is a little long....

My sister, Heather finally got to come down from Missouri to meet Colin. She came in on Thursday, and we just spent the rest of the day hanging out around the house and talking, like always. We took a trip to Walmart to develope some pictures, and to fix my glasses, that I have so been missing after Jackson broke them. She got to play with Colin for a while before it was time for him to go to bed, and we stayed up for a little while longer talking before we retired for the evening. We had planned out the next couple of days that she would be here, so we needed some rest.
The next morning we got up early so we could take Colin to his two month check-up. He also had to get his first round of shots, not fun at all! He had to get three shots and some type of preventative that they give him by mouth. They did the oral stuff first, and he had trouble not choking on it, so by the time we got to the shot portion of the visit, he was already ticked. The shots were so sad, Heather was crying by the time we left. Now it was time to have some fun because the hard part of the day was over, or so we thought.
We had planned to go "Thrift Towning", which to me me means going to a bunch of different thrift shops to see what treasures we can find. And then I wanted to take her to the Stock Yards so she could see the cowboys herd the longhorns down the street. She loves that kind of stuff!
Although inconvenient, I made a last minute decision to go get my registration renewed on my car because it had already expired. This meant driving from Lake Worth back through Azle almost to Springtown, and then all the way back to Fort Worth when we were done. By the end of this, you'll know why this was a blessing. We realized we had both forgotten our cameras at home, so we stopped to get them when we came back through. By the time we made it to Fort Worth we only had enought time to hit one of the shops before we needed to be in the Stock Yards. We found some good stuff there and then headed on our way.
It was really nice downtown. There were lots of people walking around and the weather was perfect. I, however, had forgotten my camera in the car, so we decided that I would just copy Heather's pictures when we got home. We didn't have to wait very long to see the longhorns, and they were very cute as usual. There was one poor cow, dragging up the back of the group who looked pretty miserable. She was very pregnant and looked like she was having trouble walking. I felt bad for her! We walked through a couple of little shops before we decided to head out.
By this time Colin was really coming out of after shots sleep, and was needing to be fed. One of the thrift shops that I had thought about going to earlier was right on the way and had a pretty discreet parking area that was good for feeding the baby. We probably spent about twenty minutes in the car before going in. While I was feeding and changing the baby, Heather was trying on some of her new finds from the previous store, and she also had to change Jackson because he had poured water all over himself in the back seat. We were being completely nieve about the part of town we were in, we were too busy having fun.
Right as we were leaving the car, I noticed that her window wasn't rolled up all the way. I unlocked the car and rolled it up and we went in. The lady at the front desk told us that the store was closing in 15 minutes. So we hurried. Heather found a couple of thing, checked out and we left. As we were walking up to the car, Heather laughed and said "Jamie you left the window down." It took a minute for it to sink in, but my window was actually in my front seat. We had been robbed! They took Heather's purse with her credit cards, drivers license, the key to her rental car, iPod, and several other things that were in there, she had another bag that was full of her business info, her make-up bag, her cell phone charger, her contact case, hair brush, her camera, and I don't even know what else. I, fortunatly, wasn't missing anything other than my window.
I immediatly called 911 and Heather was freaking out trying to find someone that could get in her house to cancel her credit cards. She open the door to the car which sat off the alarm(I guess busting out a window isn't enough to set it off), and I couldn't find my keys to turn it off. By this time Colin was very unhappy and Jackson thought it was all a game. So, there was a moment where I was about to got completely nuts. Heather's husband wasn't home but her mom was able to get in and got the cards cancelled rather quickly. I called Jared to tell him what had happened and asked him if he could come up there. The cops finally showed up about ten minutes later not that they were much help. They were both nice, but in that kind of situation there's really nothing to do. They walked around the building and found some guys behind the building spray painting but they didn't have any property on them. They took all of our information and then they left.
By that time Jared had shown up for moral support and to take the kids home in his car. The rest of the night was spent trying to wrap our minds around the whole ordeal and trying to get organized. Making lists of what was missing and their worth, calling a lot of people that were really not helpful, and one more trip to Walmart for Heather to get some replacements of a few have to haves that were stolen.
All day Saturday was spent trying to figure out the rental car key situation. We woke up early that morning and my parents came and got me and Heather to go back to the scene of the crime and search around in hopes of maybe finding that they had thrown something down that wasn't useful to them. The rental car key was one of those things we were hoping to find. Well, we had no luck but we saw some pretty disgusting things as we searched around back allies in the slums of North Side. It took all day, but we finally found a guy at about 8:30 p.m who could cut a key for the car for less than half of what everyone else was quoting us, not to mention that he was super nice. We ended the night on a good note. However, Heather had to get up early the next morning and leave for Dallas.
I felt awful about not knowing that Heather had left her purse in the car, I swear that I'm not so dumb to know not to do that in North Side. I just really didn't know. So again, Heather, I'm so sorry! She felt bad about my window, but that was really a non issue for me. And if anyone ever needs a locksmith and you live around this area, Carlisle Locksmith is the best! And Heather, I promise your next trip down here will be a whole lot better.

And you have to thank the "thugs" for no pictures in this post, they stole the camera that the pictures where on.


Melanie said...

I am sooo sorry! What an awful thing! This story makes me want to kick some thieving tush!

Ellie said...

Oh that is just horrible! I am so sorry that happened, it must be unbelievably frustrating! Hopefully it will turn out somewhat ok! Northside is scary. It sometimes freaks me out that I am down there everyday.

Sydney said...

Your story is so sad. Those things just shouldn't happen to such nice people. Shame on the thugs!

Adam said...

Ug - sorry to hear about that adventure. Honestly, one day people are going to wake up and be sensible. It sounds like you handled it as best as you could.